Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2018 15:17:39 +0000
From:      tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why does buildworld fail on stable/11 ?

On 24/01/2018 08:15, Scott Bennett wrote:

>> Hi,
>
>      Thank you for responding with your thoughts on this.
>>
>> What I'd do is firstly to make things as simple as possible. First do
>> the upgrade simply. Either delete or call make.conf & src.conf something
>
>      Okay.
>
>> else. Then get a fresh src  and ports tree via svnlite. Then do
>
> /usr/src has not been altered since I ran the checkout.  Is there some reason
> to use svnlite rather than svn, which is how I did the checkout?

I use svnlite because it's in base, and in your type of situation I'd
want to use base tools. When did you run the checkout? Did it complete
without error?

>> rm -rf /buildwork/ccache.freebsd
>> mkdir /buildwork/ccache.freebsd
>
>      I'm not following your thinking here.  If I've eliminated /etc/make.conf
> from the picture, then ccache is not involved at all, so why should I wipe out
> the cache contents?

that's the way it *should* work. But by doing this, we eliminate the
possibility of ccache being in the equation at all.

>> then cd into /usr/src as root, then do
>>
>> yes | make delete-old
>> yes | make delete-old-libs
>
>      What do you expect the above to accomplish on a freshly installed system
> on which no obsolete directories or libraries from a previous release should
> exist?

*should* exist. What I'm suggesting makes *certain*. What we know is
make is encountering a problem. What I'm suggesting removes things make
might be picking up, for certain. It's how I've overcome similar issues
in the past - elmiminate all the variables I can, then run it in a
vanilla way, to see if it's still broken.

--
J.