Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:31:27 +0800
From:      shocking@prth.pgs.com (Stephen Hocking-Senior Programmer PGS Tensor Perth)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Porting Linux Device drivers

I've nearly finished porting the 3dfx device driver, prior to trying to
persuade someone to let me port glide, but have come across an interesting
problem. Linux device drivers will return a non-negative number on an
ioctl to indicate success and possibly some useful information (such as
the number of 3dfx cards, for example). They return errors as negative
errnos. The problem I'm having is that I'm using the glide Linux
binaries to test the device, and the positive return values are being
trapped somewhere and turned into -1, an obvious failure which the
Linux glide library interprets as an error, spitting the dummy.

I don't have the source to the Linux glide library, so can't correct
this error there (where it should be done!). Does anyone have any clues as
how to work around this horror?

	Stephen