Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 18:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <trevor@jpj.net>
Subject:   newbie question--trouble booting EB164

I was given an EB164, which ran Windows NT when I received it.  I removed
its video card and IDE CD-ROM drive. I plugged in my Matrox Millennium I
video card.  I installed version 4.8-1 of the SRM firmware from
gatekeeper.dec.com.  I put the kern.flp image from the
5.0-20010126-CURRENT snapshot onto a floppy disk and got this:

	>>>boot dva0
	(boot dva0.0.0.0.1 -flags 0)
	block 0 of dva0.0.0.0.1 is a valid boot block
	reading 15 blocks from dva0.0.0.0.1
	bootstrap code read in
	base = 11c000, image_start = 0, image_bytes = 1e00
	initializing HWRPB at 2000
	initializing page table at 10e000
	initializing machine state
	setting affinity to the primary CPU
	jumping to bootstrap code

The LED on the floppy drive lit up, went dark, then lit again while I
heard the drive seeking, then went out again and stayed that way.  The
same thing happens with 4.3-RELEASE and with NetBSD 1.5.1.

When I received the computer, it had two floppy drives, an HD and an ED
one.  I tried attaching the primary end of the floppy cable to the other
drive.  I also tried another floppy disk.  The result was the same.

When I do "show device" at the SRM prompt, only dva0 is listed, even after
I put back the CD-ROM drive.

I have a CD burner, an AHA 1542CF SCSI card, and some SCSI CD-ROM drives.
I also have some Ethernet cards (no DEC ones though).  Before I try
booting from CD or from the network, though, I'm wondering whether anyone
has an idea of what I have already done wrong.
--
Trevor Johnson