Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 16:03:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Parsons <dan@stepahead.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   make buildworld issues

Hello,

	I'm relatively new to FreeBSD and wanted to learn a bit more about
it, so I installed from my 4.3-RELEASE CD and attempted a make
buildworld. I did the following:

1) pkg_add -f
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/CVSup/cvsupit.tgz (from the
handbook)

2) Followed the menu prompts to create a /etc/cvsupfile (you can see mine
at http://zeppelin.stepahead.net/~dan/cvsupfile)

3) cvsup -L 2 -z /etc/cvsupfile

4) Read /usr/src/UPDATING, as the handbook suggested. The handbook also
suggested checking /etc/make.conf. I didn't have a /etc/make.conf, so I
copied /etc/defaults/make.conf to /etc, looked at it, seemed fine. I
checked /etc/group against /usr/src/etc/group too, also looked fine. I
made sure /usr/obj was empty. I even went into singleuser mode like the
handbook suggested.

5) cd /usr/src

6) make buildworld

This is where it fails. You can see the output at
http://zeppelin.stepahead.net/~dan/log.txt . Something to do with
gperf. You can also see my make.conf at
http://zeppelin.stepahead.net/~dan/make.conf . Not sure why this is
happening, I tried cvsuping a few more times too, same issues. Any help
will be greatly appreciated :)

Dan Parsons - Senior NetAdmin
NYIP Shell Services
http://www.nyip.net/