Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 2004 03:10:23 -0500
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to view .ascii file?

Jay O'Brien wrote:

>I'm trying to read the 'paper.ascii' file contained in
>/usr/share/doc/psd/12.make/paper.ascii.gz and it is
>a mess. This is a tutorial on "make". I've unzipped
>the file in a WinXP machine and I can't find a display
>tool that will not show the formatting stuff in the file.
>
>What is the "right" way to read this file?
>
>Jay O'Brien
>Rio Linda, CA USA

Well, more or less, more(1) or less(1)?  Assuming
you gunzip(1) it first.  Looks just fine on an Eterm,
albeit not very wide columns when you're running
X at a "high screen res...'

Actually there's probably a better (more appropriate
UNIX historical [standard]) tool, like some TEX thing,
whether laTEX, teTEX, etc., but I dunno that one.

Perhaps the funniest one I tried was TextMaker
(from softmaker.de).  Looked great, caught some
words in spell check, but couldn't handle something
about the header encoding, so the title is thus:

         "PPMMaakkee ---- AA TTuuttoorriiaall"

Hope *you* don't get double vision reading it ;-)

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.