Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 14:22:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   put SCSI disk on same controller as DLT or not?

Hi,

don't know if this belongs to -scsi or -hardware or elswhere...

I'm running 2.2-BETA on a P166 with two Adaptec 2940. I plan to use
amanda to do backups on a DEC DLT which is connected to one of the
two 2940s. Since a lot of files to be backed up come via a 10 MBps network, I
want to use a holding disk where the data is being collcted first and then
written to the DLT (which is significantly faster than the network).

To optimize performance, I would like to know if I should connect the holding
disk to the same 2940 as the DLT is attached to or to the other one.

My thoughts are, that if I had both devices on different controllers, the
throughput could be faster since the data is read from one controller
and pushed directly to the other one.

Maybe someone has already experience with this, or some of the SCSI experts
can give me a small hint...

Thanks in advance,

Andre