Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:01:17 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>, "chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Christopher Masto" <chris@netmonger.net>
Subject:   Re: 3ware IDE Raid. SCSI killer?

At 4:17 AM -0400 2000/8/15, Francisco Reyes wrote:

>  I totally agree. I only tried Vinum once and did not loose any
>  data (test system) but it was frustrating.
>
>  The cost of a 3ware is low enough that I would only consider
>  Vinum if I read that it has become idiot proof to install it.

	Vinum striping and mirroring are pretty bulletproof in operation.
The configuration of vinum still leaves something to be desired, but
once you've got it configured, it just plain works.

	I'm doing vinum striping on our anonymous ftp servers (where I'm
pulling out a DPT SmartRAID V hardware RAID controller, because the
drivers for it have gotten difficult enough to apply to more recent
versions of our OS that the machine is no longer reliable enough),
our news peering server, our news spool server, and I'll almost
certainly make use of it elsewhere as well.

	However, I'm still not comfortable enough with vinum RAID-5 to
use it in production.

>  I also expect SCSI raid controllers to start coming down in
>  price to compete with the IDE RAID systems coming out in the
>  market.

	I'm sure they will, at least some.  However, I think that the IDE
RAID controllers will continue to inhabit a
lower-cost/lower-performance niche than SCSI RAID controllers, and
where many manufacturers of the latter are going to continue to focus
their attention is on the high-end, where absolute maximum
performance and reliability are still worth a very high premium.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium