Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 00:29:23 GMT
From:      Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   bt848 driver with PAL support

OK, the first version of the bt848 driver with PAL support is now
available at

  ftp://ftp.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/pub/richard/bt848.970329-rmt.tar.gz

Please try it even if you're an NTSC user, to verify that it still
works.  Maybe someone could put a link to it on the web page.

To be precise, it supports PAL-I as used in the UK and some other
countries, but changes for other versions of PAL should be trivial (I
don't think we know how to distinguish the various PAL tuners, but I
don't know if we have to).

There are still bugs.  In full resolution (768x576) one field is often
not updated, producing bizarre ghosting.

I've also changed Steve's interface to AFC.  It's now

  int onoff;
  ioctl(fd, TVTUNER_SETAFC, &onoff);
  ioctl(fd, TVTUNER_GETAFC, &onoff);

This allows you to query whether AFC is on so that (eg) you can set a
toggle to the right state, or restore the original state.  Something
should be added to let a program determine whether AFC was successful
or not, and maybe enabling AFC should also do it immediately.

Randall: fxtv will need to be able to select a channel set for each
of antenna and cable modes; I'll look at this tomorrow.

-- Richard