Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:26:44 +1100
From:      Johny Mattsson <lonewolf-freebsd@earthmagic.org>
To:        "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>,  freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: devfs doesn't set access rights

On 12/14/05 06:44, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> 3)
> There is one kind of thing I cannot do in /etc/devfs.rules, creating
> links. So I am still doing this in /etc/devfs.conf (links don't cause
> race conditions anyway, I hope).
>
> One would think that "link ttyU0 pilot" would simply be translated to
> "ln -s /dev/ttyU0 /dev/pilot" which would simply create the link and it
> would work as soon as a ttyU0 device (my PDA) is there. But instead it
> checks weather the device exists (of course it doesn't since I didn't
> press the hotsync button during boot) and omits the creation of the link.

Note that while for you it might be sufficient to have a hard coded link
from /dev/pilot to /dev/ttyU0, that is not necessarily the case if you
have multiple USB serial gadgets.
The way I handled it is by using an entry in /etc/usbd.conf:

#
# Fixup permissions for Palm Handheld ucom devices
# (set here and not in devfs.rules since we only want to apply
# the change to Palm com ports, not all USB com ports)
device "PalmHandheld"
         devname "ucom[0-9]+"
         vendor 0x0830
         attach "/bin/chmod 0666 /dev/${DEVNAME} ; /bin/ln -s
/dev/${DEVNAME} /dev/pilot"
         detach "rm -f /dev/pilot

Having said that, it would be great to be able to create links from
devfs.rules - I'd certainly use it for my /dev/cdrom entry!

Cheers,
/Johny
--
Johny Mattsson - Making IT work  ,-.   ,-.   ,-.  When all else fails,
http://www.earthmagic.org     _.'  `-'   `-'   Murphy's Law still works!