Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 1997 14:55:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, imp@village.org, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVSUP vs. SNAPS

According to Nate Williams:

> How CVS fits in this is really irrelevant, since the users don't care
> for the most part how it's done, and CVS will support whatever we want
> it to do.
>
> There is a *huge* different from a 2.2-stable box that was built slightl
> after '2.2-RELEASE', and one built today.  It would be nice (and trivial
> to do) to have the branch tag change *AFTER* 2.2.5 to say
> '2.2.5-stable'.
>
> But, it doesn't have to happen until *after* the bits are set down for
> 2.2.5, so arguments now are only wasting time.  We can always argue for
> it after 2.2.5 is done. :) :)
>

> Nate
>
> ps.  I note that the 'tag' used to denote '2.2-RELEASE' is
> "RELENG_2_2_0_RELEASE" and *NOT* "RELENG_2_2_RELEASE", which is what
> Jordan is arguing about.  Even internally the tags seem to support what
> Rod and others are arguing for, we just want to make that information
> available to the kernel.

	This view wins over Jordon's for the evidence presented
	in the first paragraph.  The CVS//RCS intrinsics have
	meaning solely to the people who use it--FreeBSD.org in
	our case.   The user-community sees things from a different
	perspective; and here, as elsewhere, perception is the
	_only_ thing that counts.

	gary kline