Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 13:59:40 -0700
From:      "Brian O'Shea" <boshea@ricochet.net>
To:        "Richard Seaman, Jr." <dick@tar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Semaphores

I should correct part of my last posting here:

I wrote:
> > Linux has an implementation of POSIX semaphores, although process-shared
> > semaphores are not supported.  I have run Linux programs on FreeBSD
> > (under Linux emulation) that I wrote using the POSIX threads functions
                                                         ^^^^^^^
> > and they worked just fine (although I didn't test them extensively).

I meant to say "semaphore", not "threads".  I have also run programs
in Linux emulation that used LinuxThreads, but I ran into the known
problem with libpthread (in the Linux emulation libs) failing to free
the internal linux thread structures.

On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 01:41:44PM -0500, Richard Seaman, Jr. wrote:
> The linux threads "port", which provides native FreeBSD 1-1 "kernel
> threads", also includes the linux POSIX semaphore library you mention.
> See http://lt.tar.com

Excellent!  Thank you.  I have been to the http://lt.tar.com/ site
and read about the FreeBSD kernel thread implementation, however I
did not notice the POSIX semaphore library there.  I have been looking
for this for some time and was considering making wrapper functions
around the System V semaphore system calls just to save myself the
trouble of porting some of my programs.  You have saved me a lot of
work!

Thanks,
-brian

--