Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:19:32 +0200
From:      Andrei Kolu <antik@bsd.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware for home use large storage

2010/3/21 Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>:
> on 09/02/2010 14:53 Andriy Gapon said the following:
>> on 09/02/2010 12:32 Matthew D. Fuller said the following:
>>> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 04:37:50PM +1030 I heard the voice of
>>> Daniel O'Connor, and lo! it spake thus:
>>> Irritating. =A0One of my favorite parts of AMD's amd64 chips is that I
>>> no longer have to spend through the nose or be a detective (or, often,
>>> both) to get ECC. =A0So far, it seems like there are relatively few
>>> hidden holes on that path, and I haven't stepped in one, but every new
>>> one I hear about increases my terror of the day when there are more
>>> holes than solid ground =A0 :(
>>
>> Yep.
>> For sure, Gigabyte BIOS on this board is completely missing ECC initiali=
zation
>> code. =A0I mean not only the menus in setup, but the code that does memo=
ry
>> controller programming.
>> Not sure about the physical lanes though.
>
> BTW, not 100% sure if I my test method was correct, but it seems that ECC=
 pins
> of DIMM sockets (CB0, CB1, etc) of my motherboard (GA-MA780G-UD3H) are no=
> connected to anywhere.
> So looks like Gigabyte is saving some cents on this.

Hi,

I got this reply from Gigabyte about my concern about actual ECC
support on board:
Model Name : GA-X48-DS4(rev. 1.3)
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you
mentioned, we do not guarantee all Third party H/W monitor utilities
will work properly with our motherboard because most of the S/W does
not know our H/W design and impossible optimize their S/W for our
motherboard. We are sorry if there is any inconvenience.

In addition, basically, if you could boot up your system with ECC
memory module, it means your motherboard could fully support the ECC
memory module. If the motherboard does not support the ECC memory, you
could not use this kind of memory module for the system to use. By the
way, ECC function will automatically enable in the BIOS program. You
do not need to turn on it manually.

I call this bullshit because all testing utilities I used, not a
single one confirmed any presence of ECC.

Also, most of the Asus boards are extremely unstable with ECC enabled.
Finally I replaced my Kingston ECC DDR2 with no-ECC memory on Asus
board and bought Intel s3210shlx server board for my workstation.

Andrei Kolu