Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:11:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <ahasty@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, schimken@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12

:..
:behavior problem with Linux : I do an ftp download in a linux box and
:periodically I see a slight pause -- VA research snap back saying that
:the problem was due to the VM / Scheduler and that they couldn't
:fix it because Linus held tight control over that section of the kernel.
:
:I would like to know who took your commit priviliges away.
:
:Amancio

    The commit privs were pulled after a roe with a core member blew up into
    an electronic fist fight.  It just got too much for me and I blew my top
    at the guy.  It could be argued that it was appropriate at the time,
    though I personally would have pulled *both* people's commit privs, not
    just mine, and then only for a little while.  Frankly, the whole problem
    could have been avoided if certain issues had been dealt with by core
    years ago rather then left to fester.   As with any tightly nit group,
    people get used to the worst of each other's quirks and become hide bound
    in their opinions and preconceptions of (supposed) outsiders.  I think it
    is a problem that occurs with any tightly nit group, not just the FreeBSD
    core.  The same could be said for the Linux core group, the NetBSD core
    group, and commercial core groups.  It's actually a worse problem in the
    commercial arena because people are being paid and worry about getting
    supplanted.  ( Ultimately, this is why proper management matters so much
    with a commercial enterprise.  Whenever you hear of companies buying
    software to monitor their own employee's computer use, you know those
    companies have screwed up management ).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>