Date:      Thu, 6 Oct 2005 10:24:34 -0700
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <devon.odell@gmail.com>
To:        George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www/86970: The new web site look and feel is not FreeBSDish as we all know and love

> Also my personal opinion is that the new site should have been placed at
> freebsd.org/new and discussed to death before surprising people unexpecte=
dly,
> while the old one mentions about the prospective change and link to how i=
> would look at "Project News" (old's right pane) not the other way around =
like
> to place the production one at old/ and fixing new site bugs on the fly.

This discussion to death is what killed any work on the site in the
first place. The old site was ugly, difficult to navigate, and didn't
contain a whole bunch of useful information on the front page, anyway.
The most useful stuff has been retained and is easily accessible by
clicking the `Learn More' link. Trying to find anything in the old
site (if you aren't a daily visitor -- and I never have been) was a
huge pain in the ass. The new site makes information visible and
accessible and has a much more readable color scheme to boot.

Also, this site has been discussed quite a bit over the last months.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that this is a
necessary and very worthy ``face-lift.''

-Devon H. O'Dell