Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 08:22:12 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Dariusz Kowalski <darek@dreamnet.waw.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with free space on harddisk

Dariusz Kowalski schrieb:

> I have problem with free space on disk drive.
> Some days ago, I configured program, and it produce
> 1,3GB log file.
>
> df -h command shown me that there is 108% used on root partition.
> How does it possible?

A configurable amount of disk space is set aside for root's use only. It
seems the offending log file was written with root permissions.

> When I deleted that log file, df command still shown
> me 108% of usage. When I reboot computer,
> everything come back to right situation.
> Is any way to avoid rebooting computer?
>
> PS. I using FreeBSD 4.0 RELEASE

Manually rotate the log file:
 [optional] Copy the offending file to a safe place
 cat /dev/null > offending.log
Some applications need to be told to re-open their logfiles after that.

HTH
-Christoph Sold