Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 00:18:58 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Martin Dieringer <martin@dieringe.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: strange java calculation errors

On Monday, 5th July 1999, Martin Dieringer wrote:

>I use the latest jdk1.1.8_ELF.V99-6-3.tar.gz with applied net-patch.
>On a few-weeks-old 3.2-STABLE.
>I have strange arithmetic errors.  I sometimes get NaN-s
>and very big numbers (...E306) which don't appear on any other machine/os
>and don't appear with the linux-jdk1.2 pre-v2.

We are getting occasional failures in the GregorianCalendar routines.
For some inexplicable reason it is full of floating point calculations.
Every so often, one of these calculations is wildly incorrect, and we
get an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException (when looking up the month in
an array).  We have a little bit of trace showing one of the statements
returning 0 or 9223372036854775807 sometimes (instead of an expected
result of a few thousand).

This problem has not yet reached my highest priority, but probably will
one day.  We have seen it with both jdk 1.1.7 and jdk 1.1.8 on FreeBSD 2.2.8
(a.out version, of course).

Stephen.