Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 12:14:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Tony Tam <ttam@iidpwr.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape is out of memory

On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Tony Tam wrote:

> J Wunsch wrote:
> >
> > As Tony Tam wrote:
> >
> > >      The error message is "Netscape is out of memory. Try quitting some
> > > other applications or closing some windows." I got this error message as
> >
> > What about your swap usage?  I assume you've got too few swap for
> > running a memory-pig like Netcrap.
> >

>      Well, as a matter of fact, I have 128M byte of swap space.
>
>      I have some new discovery. That is Netscape Ver. 2.0 can send mail with
> FreeBSD-2.0.5 RELEASE. By the way, this mail is sent by the above box.
>
>      But Netscape Ver. 2.0 doesn't work with FreeBSD 2.1.0-RELEASE. I move the
> same version of netscape to the 2.1.0 box. As soon as I hit the send mail
> button, I got the same error message. Since I am using the same version of
> X-Windows 3.1.2 in both RELEASEs, I am suspecting the "out-of-memory" problem
> is causing by the operating system.
>
>      Any idea? Hackers.

I run Netscape 2.02 on FreeBSD 2.1R just fine. Did you follow the README
instructions? There are a couple symbolic links you must setup into
X11R6 to get FreeBSD to run it fine...

Make sure you are running 2.02 - 2.0 had some bugs for me. Just for the
record, I run it on a 486 with 16MB of RAM and only 65MB of swap... no
memory problems at all.. I use pop for sending mail with Netscape.

-Mark

 :%t$sig   -- Oops, thought I was in vi..
| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| C-Soft  	        www.quickweb.com  |