Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:18:00 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Doug Young <dyoung6@bigpond.net.au>
Cc:        Gerry Freymann <freymann@eagle.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPoE causes a Kernel Panic

--OgqxwSJOaUobr8KG

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 10:52:02AM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> I've been trying to figure out PPPoE too .... trying both FreeBSD & OpenBSD
> & its starting to look like the native pppoe in OpenBSD might just be easier
> to configure .... I'm not certain whats up with netgraph but I think it may
> need a bit more work before its totally reliable.

That sounds like FUD to me; I've never had Netgraph problems except for:

* when I was using it as a KLD, and I forgot to rebuild the module
  when I updated my kernel.

* when it was broken briefly in -current due to SMPng locking changes

If you have problems with it, you should be talking to the developers.
I'm using PPPoE right now, and all it took to configure was to kldload
the relevant modules or add them to my kernel configuration (and set
up the PPP information per the documentation).

> OpenBSD doesn't use it (possibly a security related issue)

I doubt it; probably just because no-one has yet ported NetGraph to
OpenBSD.

> the mailing list archives have a heap of postings about netgraph woes

It's a very flexible system, therefore complicated.  But not difficult
to set up for PPPoE if you follow the directions.

Kris
--OgqxwSJOaUobr8KG

--OgqxwSJOaUobr8KG--