Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 11:03:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this a bug?

>I've seen this many times; if you don't properly umount the nfs stuff and
>a machine disappears, it's hell to get them talking again.

The thing is, I don't think it's just NFS related.  I think it's TCP related
-- specifically, the problem seemed to be when the rebooted machine tried to
establish a connection to the non-rebooted machine, where the new <src addr,
src port>:<dst addr, dst port> matched the old ones.  This is not quite
right behaviour -- for the rlogin I tried, the non-rebooted machine should
have realized that the connection was gone.  Or I think it should have,
anyway :).

This affected me with NFS, because I am using TCP for NFS -- and there was
no way (that I could see) to cause the connection to be closed on the
non-rebooted machine.  (For the rlogin, I did a 'kill -HUP' of the shell on
the defunct connection; that caused the connection to finally close, which
meant I could log in again.)

Sean.