Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:10:42 -0400
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        neo@uclink.berkeley.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, ant@overclockers.at
Subject:   Re: new user woes

-----Original Message-----
From: chris <neo@uclink.berkeley.edu>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:54:58 -0700

At 03:22 PM 7/12/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 01:41:59AM -0700, chris wrote:
> > Hello, two things,
> >
> > One, I have an extended fat32 partition on the same drive (ide) that
> > FreeBSD 4.6 is installed on.  I have tried mounting it with 'mount -t=
=20
> msdos
> > /dev/ad0s5 /mnt', but only to get a 'Device not configured' error.
>
>Could you post the output of `mount`? I've once had troubles too with
>mounting fat32 partitions since the slice-numbering often turns out to be
>different from what you might expect.

the partition i want to mount isn't listed in mount, but here's the output=
=20
anyway:

/dev/ad4s1a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad4s1f on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad4s1g on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad4s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

also, fdisk displays the slice i'm having trouble mounting as ad4s2, which
i've also tried to mount, but I get an 'Invalid argument' error if I do so.
[snip]

Couple of thoughts:

1. Why are you trying to mount ad*0*s5 rather than
ad*4*s5 if the fat32 partition is on the same disk
as FreeBSD?

2. Don't know exactly why, since the two should be
equivalent, but once or twice I've had better luck
with the mount_msdos formulation than mount -t msdos.

HTH,

Jud