Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 12:17:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/2434: new port: emulators/fmsx

>Number:         2434
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       new port uploaded to ftp.freebsd.org
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-960501-SNAP i386
>Environment:

	FreeBSD-current and 2.x, X11 sound(optional) SHM(optional)

	Sometime around October, I have uploaded port of fmsx
	(MSX computer emulator) to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming
	files fmsx-port.README and fmsx-port.tar.gz

	I have posted message to freebsd-ports, but apparently port
	didn't make it to ports collection, so I am submitting this as PR.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:

	Please review and commit this port to emulators/ category.

README file included below:

This is README file for fmsx-port.tar.gz, port of
Marat Faizullin's portable MSX emulator, version 1.5.

Uploaded by: Dmitry.Kohmanyuk@farm.org

Notes on port:

- compiled without debugging (see -DDEBUG in patches/patch-aa)
- Z80.c takes quite a long to compile with -O2
- the compilation assumes MITSHM extension to be present.
  If you don't have SHM in your kernel or are running remove X clients,
  use -noshm switch to fmsx.
- the dasm (Z80 disassembler), rddsk, and wrdsk (read/write MSX-DOS disks)
  executables are installed with names prefixed with fmsx- because I felt
  their names are too generic.
- the emulator tries to open system ROM files in current directory, so
  I have renamed it to fmsx.bin and wrote a small wrapper script which
  chdirs to /usr/local/share/fmsx beforehand (btw, this is preferred place
  to store new ROMs since you would have to type full pathname otherwise)

Notes on emulator:

- you need to run under 8-bit X server (see emulator docs)
- to hear sound, you need working /dev/audio, a _fast_ CPU (my 486 DX2-80
  is not fast, but acceptable, P90 is sure enough) and -sound option.
- if you use rtprio(1) to ensure the emulator wouldn't be slowed
  down by other non-important tasks (like cron jobs or people logging to
  your machine ;-), make sure to also set same priority for X server and
  window manager (it really helps!)
- you can also lower screen resolution to improve performance and
  have a better MSX feeling ;-)
- to run MegaROM games, you need -msx2+ and -rom 1|2|3 depending
  on the ROM type (experiment);
- if you feel like programming in MSX-Basic, run fmsx without filename
  arguments;
- look at /usr/local/share/doc/fMSX.doc for more info;
- don't ask me for *.ROM files, they are available on the Net.

Enjoy!

Dmitry