Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:19:58 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012447198.6e7be9@mired.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Matt=20Sykes?= <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recompile ports when update kernel/userland?

Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> types:
> > Should I expect a few ports to be broken after I rebuild=20
> > the kernel and userland?  I guess I don't quite believe=20
> > that binary compatibility exists in the real world.
> There are only one or two ports which may sometimes break when you
> upgrade the kernel; they do so because they expect to be able to
> grovel around inside kernel memory and know where to find things.
> This may change over time.  lsof is the only such port which springs
> to mind, but there might be others.

I think the count is higher than one or two. cdrecord - now cdrtools -
has broken in the past. However, I'd be surprised if more than one or
two broke across any upgrade that stretch across more than one release
other than a .0 one.

As it is, I've run packages built for 3.x on a 5-current system, with
little problem. I don't recommend it as a practice, though.

	<mike