Date:      Sat, 19 May 2001 17:28:52 -0700
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: speaking of things that should be ported to FreeBSD..

On Sun, May 20, 2001 at 12:56:21AM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net> writes:
> > On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 03:08:09PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > > How about http://www.openwatcom.com/?
> > Well.. the Intel compiler is here, now.  And it works with the GNU
> > binutils, and it creates ELF objects.
>
> Intel released their compiler?  I wasn't aware of that - where can one
> get it?

Yup.

http://www.releasesoftware.com/_intelbetacenteronlinux/cgi-bin/pd.cgi?page=product_info&pid=P8DA1D8030D1511D5BEB5001000D

The problem is that the compiler is Linux only.  This in itself creates
three small problems:

* the runtime objects are Linux and binary only
* the runtime objects depend on the linux rtld
* the compiler doesn't brand the resulting binaries

The only problem with fbsd headers that I've been able to notice was that
icc has an wchar_t type.  Thus the typedef is unnecesary.

- alex