Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 11:08:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a kvetch and a proposal

Chuck Robey wrote:

> Now, on to the proposal.  I often find myself remaking a particular port,
> one that I already have correctly installed, just to get at docs that are
> hidden in the dist files.  What I'd like is the ability to have the docs
> automatically installed somewhere for me, permanently.  It'd have to be
> an optional thing, because I suspect there's a lot of people who are
> either walking encyclopedias, or just don't care to clutter their disks.
[...]
> Is this needless complication, or a useful feature?

Most of the ports could add a post-install target which copies over
documentation to PORTDOCSDIR?=$PREFIX/share/doc/$PKGNAME, depending
on a make.conf variable like $NOPORTDOCS.  This should be off by
default, like $NOMANCOMPRESS.

Unfortunately you can't do this via bsd.port.mk, because different
ports have different conventions for keeping their docs, so it
complicates a lot of Makefiles and maintainers with many ports will
hate you for proposing it :-).

I'd vote for it, though it will take a while until the ports
are updated.

tg