Date:      Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:12:29 +0800
From:      Trent Nelson <nelsont@switch.aust.com>
To:        john_wilson100@excite.com
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Panic (was Re: HPT370 RAID or Vinum?)

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 06:28:02PM -0700, john_wilson100@excite.com wrote:
> Well, I have to say that Vinum feels a lot faster than HPT RAID... I will
> quantify this statement when someone tells me how to turn off ATA write
> caching, because
>
> sysctl -w hw.ata.wc=0
>
> doesn't work, says "sysctl: oid 'hw.ata.wc' is read only"

    # echo 'hw.ata.wc="1"' >> /boot/loader.conf

    Read-only sysctls have to be set here.

    On the note of write-caching - I was extremely surprised to notice
    how significant the performance increase is with it turned on.  What
    used to take ~5 seconds to dump a 20-30MB core, now takes <1s.

    Regards,

        Trent.
--
Trent Nelson - Software Engineer - nelsont@switch.aust.com
       "A man with unlimited enthusiasm can achieve