Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:37:56 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kris@obsecurity.org: [ports-amd64@FreeBSD.org: avr-gcc-3.3.2 failed on amd64 5]]

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:06:01PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > >Since this is a stock GCC 3.3.2 where AMD64 is only used as the host
> > >system (--target=avr), and I can't imagine AMD64 is not yet supported
> > >by GCC, is there already any experience about what would be needed to
> > >configure a GCC on this arch?
> config.{guess,sub} should be patched to recognize amd64 if you define
> GNU_CONFIGURE.

Older GCC's used config.{guess,sub} as expected.  Newer ones don't do a
full configure before the "make" stage.  Newer GCC versions do a minimal
configure step, and do the full-fledged config.{guess,sub} as part of the
"make" stage.  So our ports/Templates/ doesn't work as expected.  I
thought GCC started this with 3.3, but maybe it was 3.2.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)