Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:11:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dominick LaTrappe <seraf@2600.COM>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filtering ipsec traffic

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:57:52 +0100, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> AFAIK it's as follows:
> - Your IPsec traffics comes in on tun0 or whatever your external
>   interface is called
> - it then runs through the IPsec code (which you refer to as
>   "KAME" in the above, I guess) and turns into "regular" IPv4
>   packets
> - which leave the machine (or go into localhost applications) via
>   the enc0 interface

From what I've gathered so far, it seems like giving ipfilter/ipfw a pass
over an 'unwrapped' (de-esp'd and/or de-ah'd and/or de-ipcomp'd) packet is
only possible by having that unwrapped packet enter another interface.  I
think that's what's going on in you scenario (though I'm not familar with
the 'enc' interface), and in Cy Schubert's solutions (earlier in this
thread).  These are all solutions, but it's unfortunate that one of the
most basic KAME setups -- using transport mode on individual hosts --
still has the problem.

I wonder if it would be wise to reverse the order of things in the IP
stack, so that ipfilter/ipfw always sees packets in their unwrapped form.
To use the ipfiler example, this removes the ability to filter "proto ah"
and "proto esp", but those filters (mainly used to decide "with whom do I
speak IPsec?") can be easily incorporated into KAME.  It would certainly
be easier than the OpenBSD/FreeSWAN solution, which is to work lots of
packet-filtering functionality into the IPsec code itself.

Can anyone think of a reason why this would be really undesirable?