Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:49:53 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz>
To:        Anthony Agelastos <iqgrande@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hpijs/hplip, foomatic-rip, and CUPS 1.2.0

--nextPart1983185.vXs7hUpur4

On Monday 17 July 2006 19:05, Anthony Agelastos wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2006, at 11:19 PM, John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> > Anthony Agelastos wrote:

> >> I just did a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/cupsd restart and then printed
> >> something from my laptop. Same error.
> >> dell# lpstat -t
> >> scheduler is running
> >> no system default destination
> >> device for Create_PDF: cups-pdf:/
> >> device for hp_LaserJet_1160Le: /dev/ulpt0
> >> Create_PDF accepting requests since Sun Jun 25 11:27:52 2006
> >> hp_LaserJet_1160Le accepting requests since Sun Jul 16 22:36:15
> >> 2006 printer Create_PDF is idle.  enabled since Sun Jun 25
> >> 11:27:52 2006 printer hp_LaserJet_1160Le is idle.  enabled since
> >> Sun Jul 16 22:36:15 2006
> >>         /usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed
> >> hp_LaserJet_1160Le-30   iqgrande          7168   Sun Jul 16
> >> 22:36:02 2006

> > What are the permissions/ownership on /dev/ulpt0?
> >
> > jmc
>
> I do not remember if I created the user + group cups & hplip or if
> the system automatically did so for me. In any event, there are the
> following entries:
The hplip port automatically creates the user.  If you are using hplip=20
then you shouldn't have ulpt in your kernel or be loading it as a=20
module.  eg.  You printer MUST attach as a ugen device.  Once it is=20
attaching as a ugen device you should run hp-setup to correctly=20
configure the printer via the HP utilities.

If there is any confusion I'd suggest updating to 1.6.6a from the=20
following PR and following all the instructions in the pkg-message=20
from the PR as it explains everything you need to do to get hpluip up=20
and running correctly.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D100413

=2D-=20
Anish Mistry