Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:30:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: r244036 kernel hangs under load.

Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 04:55:52PM -0500, Rick Macklem wrote:
> > Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> > > There must be a thread blocked for the mount interlock for the
> > > loop
> > > in the mnt_vnode_next_active to cause livelock.
> > >
> > Yes. I am getting hangs with the -current kernel and they seem
> > easier for me to reproduce.
> >
> > For the one I just did, the "syncer" seems to be blocked at
> >  VI_TRYLOCK() in _mnt_vnode_next_active().
> trylock cannot block.
>
> > The vnode interlock mutex is eclusively locked by a "sh"
> > process (11627). Now, here is where it gets weird...
> > When I do a "db> trace 11627" I get the following:
> > witness_unlock+0x1f3 (subr_witness.c:1563)
> > mtx_unlock_flags+0x9f (kern_mutex.c:250)
> > vdropl+0x63 (vfs_subr.c:2405)
> > vputx+0x130 (vfs_subr.c:2116)
> > vput+0x10 (vfs_subr.c:2319)
> > vm_mmap+0x52e (vm_mmap.c:1341)
> > sys_mmap
> >
> > So, it seems this process is stuck while trying to unlock
> > the mutex, if that makes any sense...
> It probably not stuck, but just you catched it at this moment.
>
> The issue sounds more like a livelock. Can you obtain _all_ the
> information
> listed in the deadlock debugging page I sent earlier, and provide it
> me ?
Well, this is a laptop and when it hangs (doesn't do anything, except
to get to DB. How can I capture the stuff? (I don't even have a digital
camera. Sorry, but I'm not into that sort of thing.)

get looks the same, so I don't think I'm just getting what is
happening "at that moment".

I'll start a binary search on kernel revision #s and try to
narrow it down to a commit. It will take a while, but...

 Also, do you use the post-r244095 kernel ?

Before and after. The most recent tests were post-r244095.
(If anything the more recent kernels hang more easily.)

> Is your machine SMP ?

Old, slow single core i386.

rick