Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2012 21:33:55 -0400
From:      Ben Korvemaker <korvemaker@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   geli prompts for password at boot when it shouldn't

Hello,
I'm trying to figure out if I'm using the tools wrong, if I'm being
protected from something, or if it's a missing feature. This came up
because I want to normally have a password enabled, but when
performing expected reboots, I can disable the password and avoid the
10 foot trek to the console.

Using FreeBSD 8.3, but a quick check of relevant HEAD code looks like
it's the same. If I initialize a provider with "geli init -b -P -K
keyfile provider", md.md_iterations defaults to -1. If I set a
password later with "geli setkey -p -k keyfile -K keyfile provider",
md.md_iterations is updated to a new useful value. When I then remove
the password with "geli setkey -k keyfile -K keyfile -P provider",
md.md_iterations is left as is, and can't be forced to -1. For
attaching providers by hand, this isn't a big deal, but it is for the
root filesystem. From what I've been able to uncover, g_eli_taste()
checks for md.md_iterations=-1 indicate that there's no password to
prompt for. This means I can't remove a password and still have a
booting system because it prompts for a password, but a blank password
isn't the same as no password. The documentation for "geli init -b"
suggests that the BOOT flag is for prompting for a password, which
does seem cleaner than having a magic value for md.md_iterations. That
doesn't match how g_eli_taste() works, from what I can tell.

Is it by design that md.md_iterations is not set to -1 after a
password is cleared? I've thrown together a quick patch that resets
iterations when the password is cleared on a provider that has a
single key defined, and it seems to work. I can't help thinking I've
missed something obvious here.

Thanks,
Ben
--