Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 21:04:41 -0800
From:      rsoles@SIRIUS.COM (Roger L Soles)
To:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Make World Times ( was Re: commits in the last 2 days?)

Again, my system is nothing definative -- but with a 486/66-20MB/VL-SCSI
(Adaptec) and fast scsi2 drives I see something under 12 hours for a
make world.

I suspect it's bound more by the amount of memory and speed of the
disk channels than the processing speed... though obviously all things
equal a faster processor will make some difference.

- Roger

>> > 	How long will a make world take on a 486dx2/66?  I need to do it once
>> > and get all the objects built once, from then on the dependencies
should make
>> > sure I only build what I need to each time, right?  Thanks.
>>
>> Ahh... not sure... I run this stuff on a P54-90 with 4 to 5MB/sec disk
>> drives.  I'd guess maybe 6 to 7 hours max.
>
>On my box (subjective, nothing definitive) which is a
>486/66-16MB/ISA/SCSI I suspect it's more like 24-36 hours for a complete
>make world.  A simple make takes 12-14 hours if I remember right.
>However, I'm usually running alot more than make world, so that'll slow
>it down.  But, I don't suspect it halves the time.
>

>Nate

// Roger L Soles
// PO Box 280785
// San Francisco, CA  94124-0785