Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 2002 10:50:17 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
Cc:        Perforce Change Reviews <perforce@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PERFORCE change 21719 for review

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 10:11:33AM +0000, Doug Rabson wrote:
> On Saturday 30 November 2002 8:59 pm, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > http://perforce.freebsd.org/chv.cgi?CH=21719
> >
> > Change 21719 by marcel@marcel_nfs on 2002/11/30 12:58:56
> >
> > 	Remove isa and BOOTP_*.
> > 	Comment out sio.
> >
> > 	The UART hardware is not supported by the sio driver. It is
> > 	probed with some hackery, but the sio driver is in essense
> > 	too ISA/i386 oriented (pretty much like fb/vga/sc).
>
> In what way?

It assumes the UART uses I/O. The isa_irq_pending() function is also
an example of an ISA dependency. The latter does not prevent the sio
driver from working, but it does cause an annoying message at boot.

> The sio driver itself just assumes that it can use
> bus_space to access a standard 16550 uart or similar. The bus
> attachment code (sio_isa, sio_pccard, sio_ebus etc.) contains any code
> which is bus-related. This driver works quite well on five different
> busses - what does the HP machine do that is different?

For one, it hasn't got any ISA busses. Secondly, the Diva comm board
is memory mapped. In sioprobe() we assume I/O. It's also a multiport
board and we also don't seem to have the framework yet to just tell
it the characteristics of this board as the Linux driver has.