Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 01:36:38 +0100
From:      Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new breakage in mounting root? a devfs issue?

Just today I started using DEVFS again after a long time, and it works
perfectly. From the scarce info you provide, our only apparent difference
is I don't have SCSI.

If it weren't you, I'd ask if you are sure you have the very latest
sources, but of course I wonder you have more than enough clue to already
have checked that ;-)

Seriously, if it's a new breakage, it's not breaking for everybody.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 04:30:52PM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> complete fresh build, etc....
>
> da0: invalid primary partition table: no magic
> start_init: trying /sbin/init
>
> fatal kernel trap:
>
>     trap entry = 0x4 (unaligned access fault)
>     a0         = 0xc3615fe1a88f382
>     a1         = 0x29
>     a2         = 0x1b
>     pc         = 0xfffffc0000467578
>     ra         = 0xfffffc00004627c4
>     curproc    = 0xfffffe0009f5dbe0
>         pid = 1, comm = init
>
> Stopped at      vfs_object_create+0x38: jsr     ra,(pv),vfs_object_create+0x3c
> <ra=0xfffffc00004627c4,pv=0xfffffc0000467540>
> db> t
> vfs_object_create() at vfs_object_create+0x38
> getnewvnode() at getnewvnode+0x564
> devfs_allocv() at devfs_allocv+0xe0
> devfs_root() at devfs_root+0x38
> devfs_mount() at devfs_mount+0xf0
> vfs_mount() at vfs_mount+0x910
> mount() at mount+0xd8
> syscall() at syscall+0x3f4
> XentSys1() at XentSys1+0x10
>

> Ummm...
>
>         vfs_object_create(vp, p, p->p_ucred);
>

> is there actually a ucred this early in startup?

Actually, Microsoft is sort of a mixture between the Borg and the Ferengi.