Date:      Thu, 12 Dec 2002 17:33:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marius M. Rex" <marius@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   memory disks in 4.5-stable

I want to create a number of small RAM disks on some webservers so they
can serve high traffic content directly off of RAMdisks instead of
conventional disks or NFS.

I first tested this out on my desktop machine 4-7 stable and everything
worked just fine.  I made 3 10Mb RAMdisks and mounted then just as
planned.  But once I hopped onto the production servers (4.5-Stable from
eb 26, 2002 I believe) I seemed to be limited to using only one md device.
Only md0 is reconized as valid, any device number above that fails
to be recognized as a configured device.  MAKEDEV will make the devices
just fine, but disklabel refuses to deal with them.  It fails like so:

image1# cd /dev
image1# ./MAKEDEV md1
image1# disklabel -r -w md1 auto
disklabel: /dev/md1c: Device not configured

/dev/md1c and all the associated devices seem to be present,
but disklabel refuses to recogize them.   Again, this worked fine on my
4.7 desktop, but following the same procedure on the servers at our data
center, it fails every time. I thought that perhaps adding a number after md
in the kernel would help so I did this and recompiled:

pseudo-device	md	3	# Memory disks

But that had no effect at all.

If this is a bug, I can not find reference to it.  Is it a bug that I can
patch?  Is there a work around I can preform?  I am reluctant to upgrade
the servers unless I have to, as they are in production.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?  Please cc: responces to me, as I
am not a regular subscriber.

Marius M. Rex

NeXT is most Goth of all computers.  It's all black.  It's
obscure and arcane.  It's obstinate, and at times annoying.  Most of all,
it's a fetish which one can only defend by resorting to emotional arguments
because there is no rational basis for involvement with it any longer.  (Not
 only that, but many no longer work, and occasionally smoke.)