Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2017 09:47:37 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: synth install ... builds but does not always install named packages

> On 15 Sep, 2017, at 2:23, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com> wrote:
>=20
>> On Sep 15 07:34, Thomas Mueller wrote:
>=20
>> I am building up a system (FreeBSD 11.1-STABLE amd64) using synth, =
but even when the packages build and appear in =
/var/synth/live_packages/All , some of the packages don't install.
>=20
>> When I type "which gnumeric", "which bison", "which abiword", I just =
get a blank, and the executable files don't appear in /usr/local/bin .
>=20
>> This happened with math/gnumeric, editors/abiword-docs, among others.
>=20
>> I subsequently installed those packages by typing "synth install =
math/gnumeric" and "synth install editors/abiword-docs", but how do I =
find all the others that built and are listed in =
/var/synth/live_packages/All but did not install?
>=20
>> I see=20
>=20
>> "ls -l /var/synth/live_packages/All" has 657 lines, while
>=20
>> "pkg info -a" produces 544 lines.
>=20
>> I piped to "more", then hit G to go to the end, then Ctrl-G, which =
showed the number of lines.
>=20
>> This may not tell the whole story, but makes me believe there is a =
disparity, and ask how to find and install those packages that built but =
didn't install.
>=20
>> Has anybody else been stung by this bug?
>=20
> Matt Smith responded:
>=20
>> Do you actually want those packages installed? The usual reason is =
that=20
>> they are build dependencies only required for building another =
package=20
>> and therefore they are in the repo but not installed. If they are run=20=

>> dependencies actually required for another package to run then they=20=

>> should be installed.
>=20
>> Freshports is a good site for looking at this. =20
>> http://www.freshports.org/
>=20
>> If you search for something it tells you what is build and what is =
run. =20
>> Alternatively you can look at the ports Makefile for lines such as=20
>> BUILD_DEPENDS, RUN_DEPENDS, LIB_DEPENDS etc.
>=20
> In some cases, the named packages failed to install the first time =
(math/gnumeric and editors/abiword), and in other cases desired =
dependencies didn't install (devel/nasm and sysutils/coreutils, for =
instance).
>=20
> I need some of those build dependencies for other things like, for =
instance, cross-compiling Haiku and cross-compiling Linux toolchains, or =
other FreeBSD ports.
>=20
> Is there anything I can specify to install those build dependencies, =
and how do I go through /var/synth/live-packages/All and pkg info -a to =
install those packages that failed to install without missing something?
>=20
> Synth runs faster and more gracefully than portmaster, but portmaster =
installed everything that it built.

Yes. That's the point. Build-only dependencies don't get installed via =
synth or poudriere. Portmaster doesn't do clean builds, so it pollutes =
your system by installing everything.=20

You can install everything, though for the life of me I can't imagine =
why you'd want to, by:

	pkg install -g '*'

# Adam

--=20