Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2012 19:21:11 +0100
From:      egoitz@ramattack.net
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Jumpstart on FreeBSD 9.0

I have done :

> /usr/local/bin/cvsup /var/cvsup/cvs-supfile
> cd /usr
> cvs -R -d /expert/ncvs co -r RELENG_9_0 src
   cd /usr/src
> make buildworld
> mkdir /expert/RELENG90RELEASE
> cd /usr/src/release/
> make -f Makefile.sysinstall release CHROOTDIR=/expert/RELENG90RELEASE
> CVSROOT=/expert/ncvs RELEASETAG=RELENG_9_0 MAKE_ISOS=1

In the release man of freebsd 9.0-release sais... that you should now
need to do a make buildworld AND a make buildkernel before than running
the make release.... In previous releases... the make buildkernel was
not needed... in fact in Makefile.sysinstall which is which I am using
according to steps I have described have done.... there's a part which
sais :

#
# Build and package both GENERIC and SMP kernels if the target
# has both configuration files.  Otherwise only GENERIC is done.
#
.if ${TARGET_ARCH} == "powerpc64"
KERN_GENERIC?=	GENERIC64
.else
KERN_GENERIC?=	GENERIC
.endif

which in default Makefile for /usr/src/release
(/usr/src/release/Makefile) is not... in fact in this default Makefile
of this dir (not in the Makefile.sysinstall)... we can see...

system: packagesystem
# Install system
	-mkdir ${.OBJDIR}/release
	cd ${WORLDDIR} && ${IMAKE} installkernel installworld distribution \
	    DESTDIR=${.OBJDIR}/release WITHOUT_RESCUE=1
WITHOUT_KERNEL_SYMBOLS=1

So it's obvious... you should have done this (the make buildkernel)
before make release if you use the /usr/src/release/Makefile, so the
question is... (just for ensuring) when using Makefile.sysintall
everything should be fine although you don't have done the buildkernel
before isn't it?... for the moment is doing the make release... has not
ended... but was just for sure and relaxed by the way :) :)... althout I
suppose too that if this buildkernel is a needed step make release will
fail basically....

So should then be ok in this way I'm generating the release isn't it?

Thanks a lot for you're time,
Best regards.