Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 12:00:23 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        EKR <ekr@rtfm.com>
Cc:        rootman <rootman@xmission.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Justification for using FreeBSD

Eric Rescorla wrote:

> Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> writes:
> > Dial out to the internet using a m$ product and start a large download,
> > then unplug the phone and plug it back in. The download will be ABORTED
> > and you'll have to restart it. This is a VIOLATION of TCP protocol
> > standards. TCP is a RELIABLE protocol. Do the same thing with a BSD
> > machine. Once you plug the phone line back in the system will dial back
> > out and the donwloald will be automagically re-established - picking up
> > where it left off. This is in compliance with TCP standards.
> Hmm... This isn't always the case. If you're using a dynamically
> assigned IP address then the connection will in fact be lost no matter
> what kind of machine you're using. This is as it is supposed to
> be.

I beg to differ.
DHCP standards say that a machine that reconnects requests that it be
reassigned the IP it had prior to disconnecting. If the IP is still
available, the server should reassign the same IP. Thus, if you're only
disconnected for a few minutes, the chances are very good that you'll
get the same IP and the transmission will complete.
I will give MS credit here. Their systems seem to request and reuse the
same IP as per specs when using DHCP.

-Bill

--
If a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush,
then what can I get for two hands in the bush?