Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:08:23 +0100
From:      Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
Cc:        rwmaillists@googlemail.com, Fa bio <fa-h-2007@hotmail.com>, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automatic Geli?

On 11/04/2012 00:06, Robert Simmons wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Fa bio <fa-h-2007@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>

>> The ideia is: you can run the system but you cannot access the sources
>> inside it, what is very interesting when you work with PHP, for example.
>>

>> So, when machine is off nobody can read data from it because it is encrypted.
>>

>> When you turn the machine on it automatically enter a passphase or key
>> witch are hidden somewhere that we cannot detect! Amazing!
>>

>> My guess is that the keys/passphrase are compiled inside the kernel, so
>> itīs quite impossible to access it, but at the same time you can use the
>>  system!
>>

>> I used the system without internet access and it mounted the partition
>> ok! Thatīs why I think that the "magic" is in the kernel!
>>

>> Any ideas how itīs done?
> There are two options:
>
> 1) The key is in a file on the CD.
>
> 2) It is using geli onetime.
>
> The first choice above is stupid.  Every copy of the software is
> therefore using the same key.  If you want to have a key that you
> don't enter a passphrase for at boot: create the geli provider
> yourself, and have the key on a removable device.  When the machine is
> booting, the device is available.  When it is done, you remove your
> device with the key and store it somewhere safe.  You can use a USB
> drive or a CD for this.
>
> The second choice above is more likely.  The cache software that the
> OP mentioned would most likely be best served using geli onetime,
> which makes sense.  If you want to read about geli onetime check the
> man page:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=geli
>From a quick look in the mfsroot this looks likely
(08:57:31 </mnt/stand/etc/defaults>) 0
root@fbsd2 # grep geli /mnt/stand/etc/defaults/rc.conf
geli_devices=""
geli_tries=""
geli_default_flags=""
geli_autodetach="YES"
geli_swap_flags="-e aes -l 256 -s 4096 -d"

Running sysinstall in the /stand dir on the mfsroot gives what i assume
is the installer (it was in Portuguese so not certain.)
I didnt look further.
(to the OP, I just mounted the ISO using mdconfig, gunziped the
mfsroot.gz in the boot dir then mounted that mfsroot using mdconfig again.)

Vince