Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 1995 20:47:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      markem@primenet.com (Mark Monninger)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IDE HD > 1Gb

At 02:47 AM 11/8/95 +0000, Michael Smith wrote:

>No.  The "truth" is that it is impossible for the MBR code, which uses
>the BIOS, to load _any_ operating system from beyond the 1024 cylinder
>mark.

Well, I have a controller that implements EIDE and I can't boot either the
install floppies or FreeBSD off a second, 400MB drive. I know the floppies
are OK cause I can boot them on another non-EIDE machine. I can also boot
OS/2 off a partition on my 1.2G drive and that partition starts in cyl 1800
or so. The boot manager and fdisk see all the partitions on both drives but
when I try to boot the FreeBSD partition or from the floppies, the drive
light blinks and then the system does nothing.

Mark