Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2008 11:34:26 +0200
From:      Ruben van Staveren <ruben@verweg.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

On 7 Jun 2008, at 22:54, Max Laier wrote:

> Here is a cluebat for you:

Here is another one:

Currently 176 messages, posted by 51 unique participants (25 % by Jo
himself)

Given the fact that at least these 51 persons are actually reading all
the mails, and taking some 5 minutes for it you'll see that this
thread already consumed a whole man month worth of time. The amount of
passive readers might stretch up to a good portion of the subscriber
base.

I probably do not have to mention this time was better spent on other
things. So far I have seen nothing else than the community at large
addressing FUD of one poster, which was a genuine remark when it
started, but became irrational as there was no room for compromise.

I started with RELENG_7 when it was 4 days of age, and impressed by
the stability from the start. Yet still we going to get our production
servers up to 6.3 and go for 7.1 instead as we make use (by design) of
MyISAM tables in MySQL, though I do believe I saw a fix in cvs for the
issue mentioned here: http://jeffr-tech.livejournal.com/20425.html

Overall, the days of RELENG_4 and RELENG_5 are over and the 15 years
or so of cvs history contributes to the quality of development inside
the FreeBSD project, which I was using since 2.2.4-stable. Thanks!

- Ruben