Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 1999 18:21:11 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matt's Commit status (was Re: 3.2-stable, panic #12)

At 2:08 PM -0700 6/3/99, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Excellent.  Let's assume then that all the core folk who are there,
> plus any committers who have an interest in the issue (since core
> has to listen to its developers' opinions too or we can no longer
> honestly claim to represent their interests), will be getting
> together...

I'm not on the core, I'm not a committer, and I won't be at Usenix.

Still, I'd like to mention that as a freebsd *user*, I have appreciated
the recent NFS-related work that Matt has done.  While others seemed
too busy with "new" technology to bother with ugly-old-NFS problems,
Matt dived in and pursued them with enough enthusiasm to make a real
difference.  Even though we obviously still have a few more NFS bugs
bothering us, just the fact that someone is obviously pursuing them
makes those of us who use FreeBSD for NFS-serving feel much better.

Someone who has this much spare energy for tracking down ancient
problems in technologically-uninteresting code should be getting
some reward for it.  In a project like this, it seems to me that
the standard reward is a certain degree of respect, and I think
Matt's recent work has earned him a bit more respect than he seems
to be getting.

Given that the FreeBSD project sees one of it's strengths as being
a server OS, it baffles me that someone working hard to improve the
stability of that OS is being treated as an 'outsider' by the core
of 'insiders'.  It's not that I think the current insiders are doing
bad work, it's just that we can always use someone willing to track
down obscure bugs in boring and ancient code.

That's just my view as one FreeBSD user.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute