Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 02:44:33 -0500
From:      Yaoping Ruan <yruan@cs.princeton.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mcount() / kernel profiling

Greeting,
Could anybody give me some advise about the kernel profiling implementation in FreeBSD. Specifically, I am
confused by:
1. Is the asm code in /sys/i386/isa/prof_machdep.c the entry code plugged into each function? and it calls
_MCOUNT_DECL(frompc, selfpc) in /sys/libkern/mcount.c, which to my understanding is the implementation doing
real profiling?

2. How does __mcount linked by each function? I know GCC has an option -finstrument-functions and one can
write __cyg_profile_func_enter() and __cyg_profile_func_exit() procedure. But what mechanism is used for
mcount?

Thanks a lot

- Yaoping R.