Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:32:01 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading perl

Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com> writes:

> Actually, on other servers with the same upgrading needs, perl-5.12
> installed without any issue. My intention is to upgrade perl in
> increments to get well past EOL.

You're somewhat on your own, then; I can't test any of my ideas before
suggesting them to you.

> Wonder if I just deinstalled the old perl5-5.10 and then installed the
> perl5-12 would work. I can do that right from the port: make perl5-12
> first to see if that works, then:
> # make deinstall (perl-5.10) then: make install clean

I would be surprised if the perl-5.12 port will build for you; I think
you'll get the same error. If not, then yes, it should work.

> What do you think? I've got to move up because an important perl
> program requires a minimum 5.12.

Well, it's also possible that there's a local problem on that
machine. You indicated that you used portupgrade for similar updates on
similarly-aged machines, but I'll guess that they were only roughly
similar. I'll guess that you built your own INDEX file; if not, you
probably should (and the associated database for portupgrade). Compare
the infrastructure in ports/Mk (and maybe /usr/share/mk) with the
similar machines that succeeded, and look at the Makefile in perl5.12 to
make sure it sets options properly.

Good luck.