Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 21:25:52 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1012447553.c1a345@mired.org>
To:        "Andrew Cowan" <andrew.cowan@hsd.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question Regarding FDisk

Andrew Cowan <andrew.cowan@hsd.com.au> types:
> I was installing 4.4 release for a friend last
> weekend, and was trying to remember how to
> create a 'dangerous dedicated' disk.  Finally
> worked out that the 'F' key did the job, but
> then I studidly marked the partition as active
> also.
> My questions are: Why doesnt FDisk display the
> 'F' key option?

To keep people from creating DD disks unless they really need them and
know what they are doing. DD disks can create unusual problems in some
environments, and their use is discouraged except on systems that
won't work on disks with a real DOS partition table.

> and why does it allow a D.D. drive to be marked as active if it will
> result in an unbootable drive?

Because it can't know you aren't going to install something to boot
the system. Marking the partition as active doesn't cause a
problem.

> Finally, I am not sure if this is how I created
> D.D. Disks in the past.  Why was this changed?

To keep people from creating DD disks unless they really need them and
know what they are doing.

	<mike