Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:17:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
To:        "Victor R. Cardona" <vcardona@home.com>
Cc:        admin <admin@pacex.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securing FreeBSD against hacking

One of the best ways to setup a syslog machine is to not have it on the
network and have it listening on its serial port which is connected to the
serial port of the machine that is sending the log messages.  This is
almost impervious to tampering short of someone breaking into your server
room.  You may even want to set the append only flags to the syslogs on
that machine.  The only major drawback to this configuration is you will
have to check the logs from the console of the syslog machine, so you may
want to setup the machine that the logs are coming from to log locally as
well as sending the log messages out the serial port to the other machine
- basically using the syslog machine as an emergency backup.

Robert Simmons
Systems Administrator
http://www.wlcg.com/