Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 05:56:36 -0400
From:      "Joe Joplin" <joejop@triad.rr.com>
To:        <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Trying to get two NICs installed on 4.5

 I have installed 4.5 Release. My machine has two Network cards.  Both cards
are ISAs with the Realtek 8019 chipset, and they are NE2000 compatible.
Right after install it recognizes that I have one Network Card (actually did
a floppy install with ftp for the source), but I can't get the second one to
work.  I have attempted to recompile my kernel twice with the settings for
both cards.

These are the lines from the kernel config

device ed0 at isa? port 0x200 irq 5 iomem 0xc8000
device ed1 at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000

These is the line from rc.conf

interfaces = "ed0 ed1 lo0"

The cards are Plug and Play and I can't change this option.  The ed0 line
are the settings that show up for the card that is detected correctly, and I
am guessing on the second using what I think is available irq, port, etc.
After rebooting I can't use either ed0 or ed1 (get a timeout error, but I do
see a MAC address for ed1 during boot), and a third ed2 shows up through
auto and  plug and play.  ed2 works but I can't get to the second card.  I
am stuck.  I am newbie and I could use some help.

Thanks,

Johnny B.