Date:      Wed, 02 May 2012 16:39:48 -0400
From:      "Simon" <simon@optinet.com>
To:        "Freddie Cash" <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing dead drives in ZRAID2

I'm not saying it is ZFS. What I am saying is that I have setup ZRAID2 using
3x U320 SCSI drives connected to SAF-TE backplane connected to Adaptec
7902 controller. When I pull 2 out of 3 drives out, the system freezes where
no new requests are being processed and the ahb driver starts throwing a fit.

Is this normal/expected behaviour? I cannot pull drives out from hotswappable
enclosure to simulate drive failure? if so, what would happen if a drive did fail
while inside the enclosure? what would be different? I cannot trust RAID setup
where I cannot pull/disconnect a drive and expect the system to continue to
run smoothly.

BTW, I'm not sure if this matters or not but I'm setting up ZRAID2 using GPT
partitions as shown here:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot/9.0-RELEASE

Can someone confirm whether or not I can use Adaptec 7902 with ZRAID?

-Simon