Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 1995 23:41:46 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        -Vince- <vince@apollo.cosc.gov>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: machine reboot & kernel maxusers option

On Oct 31, 13:47, -Vince- wrote:
} Subject: machine reboot & kernel maxusers option
} Hi everyone,
}
} 	I am experiencing the following problem and the machine just
} reboots under FreeBSD-current, anyone have any ideas?
}
} MAND FAILED (4 28) @f0b4aa00.
} assertion "cp" failed: file "../../pci/ncr.c", line 5560
} sd0(ncr0:0:0): COMMAND FAILED (4 28) @f0b4aa00.

Well, I thought this would indicate an overrun of the driver
supplied start queue (which is protected by the generic SCSI
code by having the opennings value be bounded by the queue
size), but now I found that the driver sends this return code
in case of an overflow of the command queue in the drive, too.

The drive seems to either not support the default number of
four tags, and thus 4 commands issued to the drive, or it
does not allow the whole range of 0..255 as tag values.
The driver uses the low numbers as far as possible, but in
certain situations chooses a new range of tag IDs in order
to always have them unique (this was my idea more than a
year ago, but I can't remember when this can happen :)

Anyway, in this case I'd disable tagged command queues:

# ncrcontrol -s tags=0

and if this makes a difference, it might be a good idea to
try to get a firmware upgrade for that DSP5400 drive ...

Regards, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160