Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 22:59:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
Cc:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: teTeX, latex, Lyx Books

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, John Kenagy wrote:
> Now that I've about got a behemoth of a text processing system
> loaded up. I need to know how to use it!;-)
>
> Anybody got any reccomended books on latex, tex (teTeX), etc.?

By far my favorite book on LaTeX is "A Guide to LaTeX2e, 2nd Ed.", by
Helmut Kopka and Patrick W. Daly (ISBN 0-201-42777-X).  This book is an
_excellent_ reference.  It covers pretty much everything that I ever do
with LaTeX (which has been quite a bit in the past).  I didn't initially
learn from this book though, so I can't vouch for it's usefulness as a
tutorial, but at a glance it looks pretty decent.

"The LaTeX Companion", by Goossens, Mittelbach, and Samarin (ISBN
0-201-54199-8), is IMO overrated in most circles, but it does a good job
of describing a lot of available packages, and for this reason alone is
worth owning if you're going to use LaTeX a lot.

I somewhat dislike Leslie Lamport's book.  Perhaps the second edition is
better, but I learned from this book, and spent countless hours of
frustration figuring out things that just weren't covered, such as
inserting PostScript figures!  I seem to remember it not even telling how
to invoke latex (a blatant omission IMO).

There are other books out there than these, but the first two I mentioned
are a great place to start.  If you're getting into lower level layout,
you may want a book on TeX, but I've gotten by with surprisingly little
TeX without problems...  In any case, I've had "Making TeX Work", by
Norman Walsh (ISBN 1-56592-051-1) recommended to me, though I can't
personally vouch for its quality.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Jason Evans
Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]