Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:22:28 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        Terry Brown <tthkbw@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware fullscreen mode fails

--==_Exmh_811576708P

> I have Vmware2 port up and running and all works well.
>  I have a win98 guest OS and it networks to the
> external world (web, etc).  I have instlled the vmware
> tools on the guest OS and can run resolutions other
> than 640x480.
>
> Problem is I can't run fullscreen mode, and without
> it, the performance is unusable when I am running with
> the guest OS connected to my work VPN--which is the
> whole point.
>
> Vmware complains, on initialization that "No DGA modes
> found" and "Xfree 86 Direct Graphics (DGA extension)
> initialization failed"

It has always done that for me too, but One Happy Day fullscreen mode
Just Worked.

> >From the Xfree86 log:

> is there and there don't appear to be any errors.
>
> There is no reference to DGA in my XF86Config file.
> Is there something I should put here to enable it?  Or
> is the problem with modes?  If so, what modes to I
> need to add?

You may need to add modes, if the X server isn't getting any suitable
modes by default. Or, you could try setting Win to use the native
resolution of your screen - then, when you full-size it, it fills the
screen and looks like you're running that OS.. :-/

However, if I run Doze @ 800x600 (for example) and full-screen it, I get
black borders with Doze in the middle @ 800x600.

You need to ensure that you /don't/ have the default line(s):

# This loads the miscellaneous extensions module, and disables
# initialisation of the XFree86-DGA extension within that module.
    SubSection  "extmod"
      #Option    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA
extension
    EndSubSection

remove or comment out the xfree86-dga line, if you do.

You do get:

    XFree86-DGA

in the output of 'xdpyinfo', right?

Also, check that /usr/local/lib/vmware/bin/vmware is installed SUID root.

HTH,

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_811576708P